This page will be updated with links to readings throughout the semester.
Week 2 Reading (for RQ 1)
- Required: Learning to Code
- Reading Quiz Question: Why is learning how to code important? Are you convinced about the importance of computer science in the world today? Include at least one point made in the video, ‘Code Stars’. (Expected length: 2 - 4 sentences).
Week 3 Reading (for RQ 2)
- Required: Introduction to Abstraction
- Reading Quiz Question: Why is a car a good example of abstraction? Using this example, give one reason why abstraction is helpful and then also give one reason why abstraction can do more harm than good. Finally, what is an example of abstraction in your daily life? (Expected length: 2 - 4 sentences).
Week 4 Reading (for RQ 3)
- Hacker News: Comments on “Algorithms are Great and All, But They Can Also Ruin Lives”
- The 10 Algorithms That Dominate Our World
- Reading Quiz Question: Talk about an algorithm mentioned in one of the readings. Why was it implemented/what problem was it trying to solve? What consequences came about as a result? Do you think the benefits of algorithms outweigh their potential consequences? Why or why not?
Week 6 Reading (for RQ 4)
Week 7 Reading
Week 8 Reading (for RQ 6)
Week 10 Reading (for RQ 7)
Week 11 Reading (for RQ 8)
Week 12 Reading (for RQ 9)
Week 13 Reading (for RQ 10)
Week 14 Reading (for RQ 11)
- Required: The Secret History of Women in Coding –>